Saturday, January 30, 2010

Superior Scribble Award


I was super surprised and excited that Jane at Reading, Writing, Working, Playing selected me as one of her five Superior Scribbler awardees! I really enjoy Jane's blog and am looking forward to reviewing her book Imitations of Austen very soon. Jane focuses on all things Austen on her blog, as well as the Victorians and other English classics. Her reviews are always intelligent and insightful, but without sounding stuffy.

And now it's my turn to pick 5 recipients on whom to bestow the Superior Scribbler Award! I hope you enjoy checking them out if you're not familiar with them already.

1. Eva at A Striped Armchair. I'm sure she's won many of these types of things before, but her blog is the first book blog I attached myself too, and without it I'm not sure if I would have started searching out other book blogs and expanding my own blog behind my real-life friends. And Eva's sheer volume of books is enough to motivate anyone to read more! Her sheer volume of reading is impressive, but they're almost all literary selections.

2. Rebecca at Rebecca Reads. Rebecca reads a lot of classics, which is appropriate since she started The Classics Circuit, and she also posts about what's she's reading with her son, which I really enjoy reading about even though I don't have kids and don't particularly want them.

3. Amanda at The Blog Jar. I've just started reading her blog in the last couple of weeks, but she strikes me as funny and like someone I would get a long with in person. She gave us a peek into her wedding, which just seemed so focused on love instead of showing off the way many weddings do, and I just really liked that about her. Plus, how great is her About Me section: "Amanda lives on coffee, snark, and capacious Victorian novels. She has an aversion to telephones and communicates by owl exclusively."

4. Sarah at What We Have Hear is a Failure to Communicate. I like that Sarah blogs about movies in addition to books. It changes things up a little bit and gives me a few new items to seek out (or avoid) on my Netflix queue. She tends to read classics, and I'm quite impressed that she's read Proust. His name pops up a lot, but you don't see a lot of people actually reading him.

5. Karen at Books and Chocolate. Aside from loving the name of her blog and the quote from Dickens that it comes from, Karen writes about the classics. Apparently I like book blogs with people who read the classics. :) And she scored major points on her Books of the Decade post about her favorite books she first read in the last decade, where she selected my all-time favorite, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, as one of her selections, and I liked the rest of the list as well.

And here are the rules:
Superior Scribble Award rules:

1. Each Superior Scribbler must in turn pass The Award on to 5 most-deserving Bloggy Friends.
2. Each Superior Scribbler must link to the author & the name of the blog from whom he/she has received The Award.
3. Each Superior Scribbler must display The Award on his/her blog, and link to This Post, which explains The Award.
4. Each Blogger who wins The Superior Scribbler Award must visit this post and add his/her name to the Mr. Linky List. That way, we'll be able to keep up-to-date on everyone who receives This Prestigious Honor!
5. Each Superior Scribbler must post these rules on his/her blog.

2 comments: