Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Classics Club

A Classics Club hosted by one of my favorite bloggers? How could I resist! Want to join? Check out the info at Jillian's blog.

Here is my list of 50 classics I plan to read by April 1, 2014. A lot of people are doing 5-year lists, but I decided to just go with 50 in two years and then do another 50 or whatever amount at that time. I included a few recent works that may be disputable as classics, but I've noticed them on a few other lists and I'm lacking in my reading of contemporary classics compared to older classics, and I wanted this to help fill in some gaps, so I included them. I've created a new page to keep track of these, but also copied the list below.
  1. Ulysses by James Joyce
  2. Pendennis by Thackeray
  3. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
  4. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
  5. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
  6. Don Quixote by Cervantes
  7. War and Peace by Tolstoy
  8. Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
  9. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
  10. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
  11. Kim by Rudyard Kipling
  12. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
  13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  14. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  15. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
  16. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
  17. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  18. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  19. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
  20. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  21. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
  22. American Pastoral by Philip Roth
  23. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
  24. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  25. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
  26. An American Tragedy by Theodore Drieser
  27. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
  28. The Golden Bowl by Henry James
  29. Howard's End by EM Forster
  30. Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence
  31. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  32. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
  33. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
  34. The Stranger by Albert Camus
  35. The Decameron by Boccaccio
  36. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  37. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
  38. Adam Bede by George Eliot
  39. The War of the Worlds by HG Wells
  40. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
  41. Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne
  42. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  43. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
  44. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  45. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
  46. The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
  47. Walden by Thoreau
  48. The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler
  49. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  50. The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton

4 comments:

  1. Excellent list--like you, I am short on contemporary classics. Walden is getting higher on my own TBR classics list.

    Nice to see Cold Comfort Farm on your list--such an enjoyable book.

    Good luck, and good reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold Comfort Farm will probably be one of the early ones I read - so many bloggers I like have said good things about it!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome list, Lindsey! I'm excited you decided to join. :)

    Don't forget to sign up so people know you're taking part. :)

    http://jillianreadsbooks2.wordpress.com/join-the-classics-club/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! I had scheduled this post a few days ago and thought it was posting today instead of yesterday. I'll sign up now! :)

      Delete