Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Hunger Games

Although these fit the theme of Magical March, these are a reread and don't count toward that particular challenge. I wanted to read them in anticipation of the movie coming out Friday (woohoo!) and because I went to a Hunger Games party over the weekend. Because I am awesome and have some great nerdy friends. :) I somehow managed to not take any photos, but I went as Effie and Ryan went as Haymitch and we both won the Tribute challenge we played. Go us!

On to the books - I still loved them this time around. I'm a sucker for dystopian fiction in general and there are so many aspects of this trilogy to enjoy. The statements about focusing so much on bad entertainment like reality shows and going overboard with fashion and looks to the point where you lose your humanity. Katniss. I love her attitude, problem with authority, strength and will. The fact that the love story is clearly secondary in the story - who has time for love when you're fighting a war and don't know if you'll survive? The idea of reaching a point where enough is enough and rising up to take back your government. Fighting for what you believe in.

One of the fun things they had a the party was a map of Panem. Most locations aren't clearly described in the books so I have no idea how someone came up with this and it's clearly not going to be accurate to what Collins had in mind, but I thought it was fun. Plus, it has Oklahoma in District 4 and Texas almost completely underwater, so it's awesome in my book! :)  

One thing that I think is interesting is that I tend to rewrite the ending of the series in the same way I do for the end of Little Women. I know that both end a certain way, but if you ask me about them out of the blue I would think of my fake endings before the real ones and it would take me a minute to remember that's not right and to convince myself of the real ending. Despite that, I do love these books and highly recommend them if you haven't read them yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the middle of teaching the first one, so I reread the first one in anticipation. I haven't had a chance to read the other two, but I definitely plan on it. :)

    ReplyDelete