Thursday, May 31, 2012

Clarissa - May Post

I am shocked to say that I'm not only finished with the May reading of Clarissa, but I've actually already read some of the June entries! Do not take this to mean I'm enjoying myself though. I still want to bring Richardson's editor back from the dead and beat him with the bulky tome until he dies again. It's just so frustrating because I feel like there are kernels of a compelling story hidden beneath layers and layers of verbosity and repetitive letters.
I like where Richardson seems to be going. Women had it rough in the eighteenth century. If you were fortunate enough to be born to a gentleman, you would be completely controlled by him until he sells you off to whichever man makes the most business/political sense. Then you get to be controlled by him until one of you dies. If he dies, you might be able to be independent if you're lucky, but it's likely your estate will be entailed and given to a male relative. They might let you stay there. Or, you may have to marry again and repeat the process, or return home to your father, or go to a brother or another male relative, or maybe a sister or cousin and help with their children.
And if you're poor? Well, you get to work yourself to the bone, have a brood of children you can't afford, and spend most of your time caring for some richer person's family instead of your own.
But back to Clarissa. In the May letters, we see her life after she runs away with Lovelace and regrets her decision, not that she really decided to runaway, it just sort of happened. Now she's stuck because her virtue is destroyed because everyone assumes she's slept with Lovelace, even though she hasn't. She must marry him now or be alone forever, and she has no where else to go. However, she's realized she doesn't want to marry him and is hoping for a way out. 
Despite my complaints, I do think the story picked up steam this month when I look back at it, but it took nearly 200 pages to share what I summarized in a paragraph...and it's still going into June. June is the month with the most pages, so I'm hoping it picks up more. Then we start the downward slide with each month having fewer and fewer pages. I plan on finishing in October as November and December have only 16 and 6 pages according to JoAnn's reading schedule (I'm reading it on my Nook so I'm not positive how many pages are in my edition) and I'd rather just get it over with. If you want to the other crazy participants who are trying to make their way through Clarissa, check out JoAnn's page (although I think there are only about 5 or 6 of us left!).

6 comments:

  1. Well done! I'm still reading and keeping up - just, but so behind with everything on the blog I'm not writing a post this month.
    I thought the letters between Lovelace & Belford livened things up during May - hope it continues if June is going to be a heavy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about not posting - I'm afraid my posts on Clarissa will be as repetitive as Richardson's writing. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! Where was Richardson's editor? I'm very far behind (not quite done with April's letters) but enjoy the book when I sit and read it, yet am never really anxious to pick it up. Guess that makes me neutral. Congratulations on sticking to the schedule - that's quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second attempt at reading Clarissa, so I think that's helping. I know if I stop or get too far behind I'll never start again!

      Delete
  3. I'm still fighting my way through it and also managed to finish May's letters on time. I so agree with you about beating his editor - there are so much potential in this novel but it's just hidden under repetitiveness and incredibly boring letters. That said, I rather enjoyed myself in May, probably because I read it all close together. I plan on finishing in October too. Not much sense in reading the last few pages in November and December - or rather, I just want to spend the last months of the year celebrating that I actually did finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on staying on track! I'm looking forward to October already!

      Delete