Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The List

Okay, I think this is the last young adult book I'll review for a while. I'm not sure why I've been on a YA kick lately. I saw The List by Siobhan Vivian on a couple of people's blogs (I'm sorry I don't remember who to mention you!) and decided to check it out even thought it's not the type of book I normally read.

The List is about eight girls at a high school who end up on the list, a tradition at the school of a secretly created list of the prettiest and ugliest girl in each class. The book is told through the perspectives of each of the girls. I thought that was an intriguing concept - it's just as bad for the pretty girls as the girls on the ugly part of the list. It changes how people treat them, makes friends jealous, makes boys want to date them only because of the list and not because of who they are, and defines them by how the look.

I thought this was very well written. Each girl has a distinct voice, so it was easy to tell them apart and keep their stories straight, which with eight girls could easily have gone wrong. It's also got a good mystery - who wrote the list? Why did they pick who they picked? There are a few girls who aren't the obvious choices, so why them?

This would be a great book to encourage any teen girls in your life to read, and I enjoyed it as a 30-year-old, so you might enjoy it too even if you're not a teen girl. :) It's a good lesson about bullying and judging people by their looks wrapped up in a great, well written story.

No comments:

Post a Comment