Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Baby Laughs


No, I'm not pregnant, nor am I going to become pregnant any time soon (or at least I hope not). I picked up Baby Laughs by Jenny McCarthy to research the novel I'm writing. Yes, I'm writing a novel. I'm trying to participate in Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month). I've only got about 5,000 words out of 50,000 though, so I need to hurry up. Anyway, this book is for research. I actually meant to get Belly Laughs, McCarthy's other book, but I grabbed this one instead. Probably because I was embarrassed to be hanging out in this section of the library, even though I know most people probably assume a woman of my age has a child and I have a wedding ring on. Oh well.
Anyway, this book was actually really enjoyable. I read it all in one sitting. It was really funny, as you can imagine being written by Jenny McCarthy. She talks about the first year of mommyhood. She's very honest, whether it's about her baby peeing in her mouth or covering himself in poop or her getting hemmorhoids and not wanting to have sex and feeling like a giant hairy leaky cow. Childbirth is kind of like the great leveler for women. Being rich or famous might get you a better hospital, but it's not going to take away the crappy parts of giving birth. At the same time, she was very clear that it was absolutely worth it and was the best thing she's ever done. I felt like she was actually a lot more persuasive at getting me to consider having children. She doesn't just list the nice stuff and make it sound perfect and easy. She's tells you all the crap and still says it's worth it. That's a lot more powerful to me, because then I didn't really have anything to counter with. When someone talks about the positives, I can whip out my negative list. But she already said all of those reasons, so I was left with no argument. I hope my Mom doesn't read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment