Saturday, November 14, 2009

Philly Firsts


I bought Philly Firsts by Janice Booker while I was on a business trip to Philadelphia. I went in a day early to sight see, which was wonderful. I loved seeing all of the historical sites. I actually finished this a while ago, but keep forgetting to post about it for some reason. It was a great choice for a souvenir. It talks about all of the many firsts that Philadelphia had.

Here are a few of my favorites:
First U.S. flag (I got to see the outside of the Betsy Ross)
First Mother's Day celebration
First merry-go-round
First fire department
First insurance company
First advertising agency
First marketing college course (so I have Philly in part to think for my job)
First copy of the Declaration of Independence
First book published
First electric TV demonstrated
First hospital
First cancer research
First ice cream in the U.S.
First carbonated beverage
First Girl Scout cookies
First bubble gum
First Baptist church (who oddly enough called themselves Pennypack Baptist Church, not First Baptist Church)
First computer
First discovery of electricity

That's a lot of firsts! And, that's only a few out of the book. Whew! It must be interesting to grow up in a place like that, with so much history right down the street. Can you imagine getting to go on school field trips to see the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall? You don't have a lot of options like that in Oklahoma. I love living here though, don't get me wrong. But it seems I also have Philly to blame for making me fat and lazy. A lot of junk food, books, TV, and the computer. Not good Philly, not good. I'm going to go eat some ice cream in front of the TV now!

No comments:

Post a Comment