Sunday, September 27, 2009

Banned Book Appreciation

In honor of Banned Book Week, I thought I'd ask if you have any favorite books that made the list?

Two that immediately jumped out at me are 1984 and Brave New World. Ironic huh? I love both of those. I also enjoy The Great Gatsby, sitting at the number one spot on the list. That surprises me. It's not that bad, and it's considered by many to be the greatest American novel. Then there's Heart of Darkness, which helped me pass my AP English exam. Their Eyes Were Watching God. Thank you Mrs. Richardson for suggesting that book to me during my junior year in high school. She was one of my favorite teachers, and I loved the book. She was excellent with recommendations. I've read it several times, and her other recommendation to me, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, is one of my all-time favorite books. I ended up writing a paper on both of them in college actually. Back to the list. The Call of the Wild. As my professor for my American Novel class at UCO said about 295 times, Buck's a dog! A dog. What's there to ban? He's a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment