Saturday, January 14, 2012

Every Thing On It

I LOVED Shel Silverstein as a child and still have several of his books in my office at work for writing inspiration. I don't usually buy books at Wal-Mart, or shop there at all for that matter, but when I was there recently I decided to browse the books since I was in the cards and gift wrap section and happened to see a new Silverstein book! I've been reading a couple of poems a day to savor it.

I definitely enjoyed this new collection, although I think Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout is still my favorite of his poems. It still didn't make me want to take the garbage out though! My favorite from this collection is probably The One Who Invented Trick or Treat. Here's a snippet:

"Yes, I invented 'trick or treat'
So you could fill your mouth with sweets -
Candy bars and lemon drops,
Marshmallows and Tootsie Pops...
Slurp a soda, munch a pie,
Don't let those M&Ms go by,
Chew that toffee, munch those treats,
Get that caramel in your teeth,
Then come see me, I'll be here -
I'm your friendly dentist, dear."

I love how he just has fun with language and makes funny little jokes in some of his poems. I like how he incorporates the illustrations. Then, in the middle of being silly, bam! He has a poem that makes you stop and think.

Masks
"She had blue skin,
And so did he,
He kept it hid
And so did she.
They searched for blue
Their whole life through,
Then passed right by-
And never knew."

How powerful is that simple little poem? How often does that happen? We wear masks through life, hiding parts of ourselves and never realizing that others have similar interests. I read a quote the other day about friendship starting in the moment when one person says "You too? Wow!" If we hide parts of ourselves though, we miss those opportunities.

The book was full of other fun and meaningful poems - check it out if you like Silverstein's other works!

No comments:

Post a Comment