Sunday, January 17, 2010

One Fifth Avenue


Ugg. Why did I finish One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell? I'm not even sure what to write other than don't read this book. I have tried to start a new habit of not finishing books I'm not really into, and I've been doing better, but for someone reason I kept reading. I'm not sure if I expected it to get better or if it was more like a train wreck you can't look away from.
I read Lipstick Jungle a few years ago on the recommendation of a coworker and ended up actually really liking it. I also enjoyed Trading Up, althought not as much. So I thought One Fifth Avenue would be a good, light, entertaining read. Not so much. All of the characters were horrible. Not a redeeming one out of the bunch. They were a bunch of self-absorbed New Yorkers, intent on gaining more money and power. The writing was slow and boring, and Bushnell refers to her own book Sex and the City multiple times. Seriously.
So, again, I have no idea why I finished this thing. I would like my evening back.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on this one... it's one of the few books I couldn't bring myself to finish! I'm so glad now to hear it was a good choice on my part.

    ReplyDelete