Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays


It's time for Teaser Tuesdays! Hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading, you just share two teaser sentences from a random page of your current read, but no spoilers.

Here's my teaser from Biblioholism by Tom Raabe, which I'm really enjoying:
"When we blow into a new town, we scour the cityscape for something somewhere that lives up to our notion of proper bookselling. But the only place we find it is in our dreams."

True dat. Anytime I travel, I always check out the bookstores. Since I usually travel for work and am helping put on an event, I don't always have time or the means of transportation to go to the bookstores, but I always look. And I have two favorites from my travels: Powell's in Portland and City Lights in San Francisco. You MUST go to these when you are in either of those cities. That's a direct order! City Light is the most unique bookstore I've ever been too. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, founded it. It has an entire section on anarchy and a floor of Beat poetry. Yeah, you don't get that in most bookstores! And I love Powell's. It's HUGE. It takes up a whole city block. It's almost perfect, except it's almost too big, so you know you're missing a ton. It's probably good that I don't live in Portland.

I'm really enjoying this book, and can't wait to review it! Find out more later this week!

3 comments:

  1. Great teaser! And I can so relate. I find the good bookstores in any place I visit too. My brother is even worse; he once took a long touring vacation through the U.S. (we're from Canada), looking for bookstores that sell really old books. That sounds like haven to me!

    Anyway, I love your teaser. My own teaser is at Bookisghal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about going to Portland just to go to Powells, I've heard such wonderful things about it!

    With regards to Teasers, I was listening to How the Irish Saved Civilization this morning whilst doing my errands, and the author mentioned the classical practice of opening a book and reading a passage at random as a method of divination. Made me smile considering the Teaser Tuesdays...

    You know, reading Biblioholism sounds like enabling an addiction to me :)

    ReplyDelete