Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Lucky One


When I pick up a Nicholas Sparks novel, I expect to fall in love with the characters and dive into a story that takes my mind away. So I was surprised by the first chapter of The Lucky One. I hated what seemed to be the main character! The book starts off with this pervert cop who abuses his power. Where is my Southern prince charming? Fortunately, he does arrive shortly. :) The book is actually told through three points of view, which I think is a change from his other novels. The other two characters are much more likable.
I think the decision to tell the story this way, especially using the not very likable character, helped keep Sparks from falling into a rut. It made the book fresh. It also had an interesting story, about a Marine who finds a picture of a woman while serving in the war and it becomes his good luck charm, so he sets out to find her.
This is the first Sparks novel I've read since visiting North Carolina last year, and it was fun to read about a place where I've now been. Specifically, they go to Wilmington in the book, which is where I visited for an office visit for work. (And got to see where my favorite movie was filmed - Empire Records.) That helped make the novel more real to me. I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of his, or if you're just looking for an easy-to-read, entertaining story.

No comments:

Post a Comment