Friday, December 11, 2009

Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl is Sophie Kinsella's (of Confessions of a Shopaholic fame) latest book. It's a ghost story, oddly enough. Not a creepy ghost story, but a Kinsella-style ghost story that's fun and entertaining.
Lara is a modern, 27-year-old who has to go to a funeral for her great aunt Sadie, who she's never met. At the funeral, Sadie's ghost starts haunting her. The ghost takes the shape and personality of Sadie at 23, who was then a flapper in the roaring '20s. She's hilarious, and the clash between the '20s and modern day is hysterical, especially since Sadie's a lot looser than Lara. It's pretty funny.
I also liked that this story made me think of what my grandmother was like when she was young. She wasn't a flapper or anything, much to young for that, but the relationship between the two girls made me think of my grandmother, who I'm really close to. Lara growing closer to ghost Sadie connected her to her family more and led to other events that helped honor Sadie's life.
So, if you like a good, funny, quick read, pick up Twenties Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment